So, enough with the mushiness. Let's get to the food! I started with another yummy green smoothie for breakfast today. I love these, especially on Monday mornings ... they just feel so clean and healthy! I wanted a little tropical flare this morning, so I came up with a tropical smoothie recipe. I call it "Tropical Bliss" because it was blissfully delicious and nutritious!
Tropical Bliss Green Smoothie
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 3 cups kale (stems removed)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen peaches
- 3/4 cup frozen strawberries
- 1-2 tablespoons flaxseeds
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!!!
Tonight I decided to make one more recipe that I adapted from the Post Punk Kitchen website. The original recipe is called "Lemon Garlic Fava Beans & Mushrooms". I was obviously drawn to it because of the lemon and garlic part. The fava beans, however, turned me off a bit because all I can think of is Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs saying, "I ate his liver with fava beans and nice chianti." That movie still gives me the creeps. I can't even watch it! So, I traded out fava beans for cannellini beans. This was not just because of the Hannibal Lector thing ... truth is, I couldn't find canned fava beans and I didn't have time to cook the beans myself. Beans are one of the foods I have allowed myself to buy canned. I know, I know ... it is the slacker in me, and the fact that I just do not have that much time! Anyway, this meal was absolutely delicious. It was rich with flavors that I love ... garlic, lemon, mushroom, onion ... did I say garlic yet? I do love garlic. The recipe is thick and hearty while also being healthy and nutritious at the same time. It was very filling too. A definite winner. It was very easy and did not require a lot of prep, which is always a plus. I served mine with some left over sprouted quinoa. It was good, but I think I would choose to serve it with long grain wild brown rice next time. You could also add some good veggies as a side dish. I really don't think you could mess this one up. It was delicious!
Lemon Garlic Cannellini Beans & Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into thin half moons
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic, pressed through garlic press or finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced (I used baby bella mushrooms because I could not find the cremini mushrooms that the recipe called for, but I bet those would have been great)
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs (I used Gultino gluten-free ones)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper, or to taste
- zest of half a lemon
- juice of one lemon
- 2 15 oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions